Ivan Hanafi receives his B.Sc. in Electronic Education from Institute of Teacher’s Education and Training (IKIP) Jakarta, B.Eng. in Electronics Engineering from Universitas Indonesia, and Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Technical and Vocational Education from IKIP Yogyakarta.
Besides giving lectures in the subject of Electronics Education and Computer Programming at Universitas Negeri Jakarta (former IKIP Jakarta), he also involved in providing consultancy services to The Ministry of National Education – Indonesia, assisted the Terro-Technologist International Consultant to review preventive maintenance and school-based management programs used in Junior and Senior Secondary Education.
He has been conducted as a Training Coordinator for Technical Training Center, Siemens Indonesia Company. He has got Ph.D. in Technical and Vocational Education from Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM).
-  Ph.D. from Technical and Vocational Education Faculty of Educational Studies, Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM), Malaysia.
-  Bachelor of Engineering from Electronic and Computer Engineering Faculty of Engineering, Universitas Indonesia (UI), Indonesia.
-  Master of Education, Majoring in Technical and Vocational Education from Institute of Education and Teaching, IKIP Yogyakarta, Indonesia.
-  Doctorandus in Electronic Education, Institute of Education and Teaching, IKIP Jakarta, Indonesia.
-  Leaders Program #2. Temasek Foundation Program on Innovations in Teaching & Learning, Singapore
-  Regional Workshop on Southeast Asian Vocational and Technical Education Network, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
-  Short Course on Laboratory Management and Laboratory Teaching, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, Australia.